Football League World has provided a list of potential replacements for central defender Dan Ballard in case he departs from Sunderland. After their play-off semi-final defeat to Luton Town last season, Sunderland is determined to remain in contention for promotion in the current campaign. Under the leadership of Tony Mowbray, they secured a spot in the top six on the final day of the previous season. Mowbray, who took over as the manager, has transformed one of the youngest squads in the division and instilled confidence in them to compete at the top of the Championship.
One standout performer has been central defender Dan Ballard, who endured injuries but made 19 appearances last season, becoming a crucial part of Sunderland’s defense. Given his quality, Premier League clubs like West Ham have shown interest in him. With four years left on his contract, Sunderland could command a significant transfer fee for the 24-year-old. Football League World has identified five potential replacements for Ballard if he leaves the club.
1. Leeds United’s Charlie Cresswell, who impressed on loan at Millwall in the Championship last season but hasn’t seen
much action at Elland Road.
2. Liverpool’s Jarell Quansah, who made a promising Premier League debut but may struggle for consistent playing time in ateam with defensive stars.
3. Ashley Phillips, an 18-year-old defender who previously played in the Championship with Blackburn and was recently signed by Tottenham Hotspur.
4. Gabriel Osho, who played a key role in Luton Town’s promotion-winning campaign last season and could bring experience to Sunderland’s squad.
5. Veteran defender James Tomkins, who may be seeking a new challenge due to limited opportunities at Crystal Palace. Tomkins boasts extensive experience in both the Premier League and the Championship and could provide stability to Sunderland’s defense and their promotion ambitions.